Monday, November 5, 2007

5 Nov 07 (Monday, Delft)

The weekend always seems to pass by so quickly .. Monday morning - the beginning of a new week. Sure hope it'll be a fulfilling week of learning, experiencing new things and establishing new friendships :)

Lessons are at 845am (I'd definitely prefer it to be 10am or later), so went to school shortly after waking up & msn-ing. First lesson is a hand-ons session on Matlab, a continuation of last Thu's lesson. While the logic of programming remains the same with Matlab and another programming language I learned previously, there's still a awful lot of syntex specific to Matlab that I've got to learn. So paying close attention & working hard I am (while msn-ing)! :P

After some 4hrs of Matlab-ing, we break for lunch - yes, lovely lunch. I had the salmon with vegetable soup, a really healthy combination that I promised myself last week. Lunched with a couple of fellow students and had a really fun time listening to their stories & conversation.

It was statistics lesson after lunch, and you can imagine how challenging it was to stay concentrated. I was expecting a terribly boring lesson .. I mean how interesting can the topic be? But I was really surprised by the lecturer, a tall young-looking guy, who managed to conduct the lesson in a most engaging way! I really enjoyed the lesson, but wouldn't say the same for a few other students whom I noticed had decided to declare a break for their eyes and mind.. :)

The statistic lesson was the last for the day. I then went to sit in a MSc presentation by a senior to get some idea what torture & pain is in store for me in 17 months' time. It was a 30min presentation, followed by Q&As by the 3-member examination panel - two from IHE & one from an external institution. The panel posed some really pertinent questions, challenging the senior on his assumptions, the limitations of his research, ways for improving it further, etc. Wish myself good luck when it's my turn on the hot seat some 17 months later!

After school, I went for dinner with Franto, a fellow student from Indonesia. We to the Döner King, a halal shop selling turkish (I think) dishes. The chicken drumlets with rice (€5.50) I had was flavourful and nice. I think my expression says it all :)

No comments: