Friday, November 2, 2007

2 Nov 07 (Friday, Delft)

As usual, I pulled myself out of bed (abit with much struggling) as my alarm burst into life at 7am sharp. Somehow, my bed feels especially warm and cosy this morning, and it took exceptional determination and ill-power to part ways with "her" (warm & cosy - gotta to be a "she").

It has now become a routine that when I get out of bed, I log into msn to catch-up with my frens in SG (7am Delft time = 2pm SG time) while simultaneously (1) washing up; (2) getting myself some simple breakfast of bread and coffee; (3) getting dressed & (4) doing my hair (yes, Im still diligently maintaining my spiky hairstyle). A rather busy morning eh? :) 7am Delft time is 2pm SG time, so it is a rather convenient time to catch my frens online. It is also a good time to see if there's any urgent email to read/respond (none so far .. haha, as if Im so impt).

It was a morning with a slight drizzle .. sianz, I really hate it when it rains & Im outdoors (my closer frens will know tat it's because my hair will collapse when my hair gel dissolves in the rain) .. So braving the rain, I cycled really quickly to school - all the time observing proper road safety measures of course :P

The first lesson was at 8.45am, a very suitable time for the Maths lesson where a superbly fresh & clear mind is absolutely necessary to comprehend the lesson. I believe the lecturer has no doubt how lost we all are from our clueless eyes .. I would say today's lesson is by far the most challenging. It is only later I found out that several students has decided to meet up to study it together tomorrow! Now you see how potent the lesson is?

After the Maths lesson, we break for lunch - a time I so look forward to everyday as this is my only decent meal of the day. I noticed nasi-goreng with chicken/lamb on the menu and when I asked for the lamb, they said they will cook the lamb only after they've finished selling the chicken .. funny isnt it? So I took the chicken with a bit of disappointment, and also tried their "African pepper soup with chicken" - sounds exotic eh? Haha .. it taste great too :)

Lunchtime was totally enjoyable as I had this fellow student who told us how roads in his country are planned & designed. Firstly, they need no planning as they just lay the roads where the existing paths are. Then, when there is no existing path, you just put a donkey there. Why? Becos a donkey will help find the shortest path thru its instinct! Gosh, can u believe that?! Haha ..

After the good laugh at lunch, the next lesson is on engineering structures. It was in this really small classroom, and tats when I realize how small the class is - just 11 of us coming from Ethiopia, Guatemala, Nepal, Peru, Romania, Sri Lanka & USA. These are the people who'll brave thru the trails & tribulations of the demanding MSc course with me.

After class ended at 3.30pm & some loitering around (checking emails, having a hot drink in the canteen, etc), I went to the town centre to withdraw some cash. It was still drizzling outside .. a cold & wet evening really makes me miss home .. awwww..

In the evening, IHE screened the movie "Wild Hogs" - a comedy movie about 4 middle-aged frens setting out on a wild and free roadtrip on their motorbikes. It was screened from a DVD, and it came with a female voice describing every scene that has no people talking. It seems like a feature to benefit the visually handicapped. It was pretty strange watching it this way .. but I still very much appreciate the effort by the school and seniors in arranging all these recreational stuff for us lonely students.. thanks man!

No comments: